Friday, January 27, 2006



I love living at the beach. Where else can you run down and dig a bunch of razor clams for dinner? Today was the first day of a three day "dig". The state allows digging of razor clams only occasionally. The limit is 15 clams, any size, you must keep the first 15 you dig, regardless of size. This time of year the tides are in the evening, so often it is dark while you dig (therefore, the lantern). It is actually kind of cool to see. There will be several thousand, yes thousand, people on the beach with lanterns and they will be moving up and down the beach as waves push them back and forth. Tonight was not the worst night I have dug on, but it sure wasn't the best. The wind was blowing 20 - 25 MPH across the hard deck, it was in the upper thirties, the surf was hitting the beach hard, and it was raining. All of that makes it really hard to see the "shows". Shows are the little movement of sand the clams make when they start digging deeper. This is often just a little dimple in the sand that is there for just an instant. Sometimes, the shows look like big donut holes and getting a limit of clams is a breeze. Tonight, they were hardly even dimples, just little depressions in the sand, or, little puffs of sand in the water. Although I only got 13 of the 15 clam limit, I only dug 2 dry holes, all the rest had clams. When you are not to good at seeing shows, you dig a lot of dry holes.

6 comments:

Hahn House said...

He is back. Good to see you Doc and i don't know much about clams but I sure do love to dig.

Enigma Productions Photography said...

I only count 12 you slacker. But I must say that none of them are busted so you are qite the digger. I have done that twice and it was a lot of fun. But alas i hate see food, but like Parker, i love to dig.


GLAD YOUR BACK

Enigma Productions Photography said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DrD said...

Trust me, there are thirteen, must be one underneath all those, and not one cracked. Got fifteen yesterday in about 20 minutes. Better weather, not getting dark, and no wind.

E-A said...

that post makes me miss the beach...

Jeremy said...

that post makes me miss my dad.

pegg