
I have been visiting my Dad in the hospital these past couple of days. He is 87 years old and is suffering from diabetes and facing the possibility of losing his left foot. He is in very poor health. I was visiting with him today and got to talking about his time in the Navy. He is a retired Chief, and did weather forecasting in the Navy for 20 years. I remembered he had a poem he use to recite about a Chief weatherforecaster and ask if he could remember it. Of course he did. I wrote it down and thought people would get a laugh from it, so here it is,
I looked into the future far as the human eye can see
And I saw the Chief forecaster dead as anyone can be
Dead and dammed and put in Hades as a liar from his birth
With a record of unreason unparalled on earth
As I looked he reared him solemnly, this overcalloused youth
From the coals that he preferred to the advantages of truth
He cast his eye about him and then above him he wrote
On a slab of thin asbestos what I venture here to quote
For I read it in the rose light of the everlasting glow
"Cloudy.......... variable winds............. cooler............... snow"

3 comments:
HAHAHAH
that. was. awesome.
read the articles and thought I might write a poem here, bout Mr.P. this will be out of my head as I sit here, and not time for revision. hmmmmmmmmmmm a name? Lets see, hows bout,
Can You Say The Same, and here goes
Can You Say The Same
Like a bottle floating on the sea, I am contained, but free,
Can you follow me?
I might be old, but I am young at heart,
I know where I am going,
Can you say the same?
Like a rolling granite stone, I am in motion,
I have peace in the surrounding commotion.
The old stream may have altered its course in time,
But it still empties into the sea, called life.
If you cannot find me in the masses,
Then maybe it is because I choose to retire,
From the hectic pace, of trying to prove myself to the human race.
I did it on my terms, not yours.
It is I who have chosen this course.
You will find in time, my friend, that age is a blessing,
Not the end !!
We have the same emotions, different dreams,
Your visions are simple, mine vast.
Where I am, in time, you will follow,
Do not be shallow or hallow.
When it comes to age, each day you turn a page,
The chapter is written, the book complete.
We all endure strife,
This is what people term life.
It is true, the years have passed.
Non-the less, I stand, my heart beats.
There is life in the person, brain intack.
I have sustained the blows, as my life shows,
I am not to blame,
Can you say the same?
Roberto 2007 ©
Post a Comment