
There are several pet peeves that I have. Number one would be people who drive in the fast lane and can't seem to understand the simple words, "Slow Drivers Keep Right" and, "Keep Right Except To Pass". If you can't follow simple directions, you shouldn't have a driver's license.
But let's focus on dental patients, shall we. Now granted, the last post made it look like I enjoy inflicting pain, albeit, mental in those cases. And let's remember, it was the military and the Marines. Those guys are supposed to be tough. I was just doing my part to make sure they didn't get any pansies in the Marines. The truth of the matter is that like the majority of the dentists out there, my goal is to make the visit to the office as comfortable as possible.
The thing with dental patients is that a vast majority of them don't seem to be able to take responsibility for their teeth and the pain they cause them. You can't neglect your teeth, eat and drink nothing but junk, soak them in soda pop and not brush them, only see the dentist when you have a problem, and expect that you are going to have a wonderful dental experience. You are already in pain and now you want something done about it. I get the typical statements all the time, such as, "Doc, nothing personal, but I just hate going to the dentist". I would too if the only time I went was when I was in pain! And the real topper to me is that these are the same guys that don't seem to have a clue which end of a tooth brush to use, judging from the crap built up on their teeth. Lord Almighty, if you don't like going to the dentist, take care of your freaking teeth!
And the comment that really chaps my hide is the veiled threat, "I won't hurt you if you don't hurt me!" Hey, you are already hurting, you want me to get you out of pain and you THREATEN me. What kind of an idiot are you? Do you really think that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside? I'm about to poke you with a needle and you want to make me mad? Hello! I have told more than one patient, "Listen, I am here to help you but if you think threatening me is improving your odds, you need to find someone else to take care of your problem." So far, every patient I have said this to, has backed down, explained they are stressed and they are sorry. Granted, I understand all that, but sometimes, it is just to much. I didn't get your teeth in the shape they are in, you did. How any sane person thinks that the 2 hours a year at the dental office can make all the difference to their teeth, is an idiot. If you ain't doing the homework, nothing we do will matter. It is very distressing to get someone fixed up, only to have them return a year later all messed up again. It may be hard to believe, but I don't need that. However, the best dental care in the world will break down in a matter of months in a mouth with poor dental habits. It is one of the most frustrating aspects of dentistry. The truth of the matter is that something like 20% of the population drives 90% of dental treatment.

3 comments:
Do you feel better now? hahha
I hope you weren't waiting for the novacain to take effect while you were writing this. Cause that poor sucker in the next room is going to have your foot on his face for "leverage".
Actually, yes I do.
It isn't the not flossing that ticks me off. Hey, if you don't want to care for your teeth, that's your choice. Just don't blame it on me when you have problems.
Post a Comment