Friday, July 30, 2010



Entering Oklahoma - as far as we went



Quanah Parker tribute in Quanah, TX



New Mexico rest stop just inside the New Mexico border

FRIDAY JULY 30th

We had another early start and early finish. Of course it helps that we crossed out of the central time zone into the mountain zone just before getting to our hotel. So, it was 2 PM there, not 3 as we thought it would be. We also had another good run today, 475 miles. We have done 1000 miles the past two days. We are on a mission. Today we left Texas, and entered New Mexico, were we are now, in Santa Rosa.

About the only thing to write about it that we stopped and took pictures in Quanah, TX and then drove 8 miles north into Oklahoma so we could 1) get a point for Oklahoma and 2) and tell Mom I have finally been in Oklahoma, her home state.
Quanah, TX is significant because it is named after that last great Comanche Chief, Quanah Parker. For those of you who don’t know of Quanah you may think that Parker is an interesting last name for a Native American. Quanah was the son of Chief Peta Nokoni and Cynthia Ann Parker, a white woman who was taken captive as a small girl and raised with the Comanche. Now for more significance to me personally; my mother’s maiden name was Parker. If I recall correctly, Cynthia Ann was either my Grandpa Parker’s first cousin, once removed, or his second cousin. I actually have cousins named Cynthia Ann and Quanah as well as other interesting names like Pocahontas (Pokey), Hiawatha (Hi) and Etomba (I think that is right - Tom). Mom can correct me, or any other Parker who may read this and have a better knowledge than I do.

Oh , before I forget, we stopped at the Harley store in Amarillo, TX and I bought one of those pads you put on your seat that lets air circulate under you bottom. I was a bit skeptical but it does help and when it is this hot, air circulation is good.

Tomorrow should be a shorter day, well, comparatively speaking. We only have to ride 390 miles tomorrow. Somewhere between now and home we need to get another oil change. Maybe in Reno, it all depends on what way we choose to drive home. We can go up through Salt Lake City into Idaho and then across the middle of Oregon to Powell Butte or we can cut across Nevada to Reno and then up through California and Oregon.

Well, 30 days behind us, 8 more ahead of us. Good night, sleep well, and God bless.

1 comment:

DrD said...

Post