SATURDAY July 24th
It was yet another hot day on the bike. The heat and humidity really takes a toll on us by the end of the day. We are always so happy to finally get to a hotel and get a shower to clean up and cool off. We have found that in the state of Florida, either people can’t read or they don’t care because they never obey the speed limit! I swear that when we went from a 70 MPH zone into a 55 MPH work zone, people SPED up! I use to slow down when the speed limit would slow but now I just go with the flow; not the fastest vehicle on the road and not the slowest. It seems to be working. Our last 100 miles of riding today was made with no stops (we usually stop every hour and get off the bike and stretch and have a drink of something wet if we can find it) and it was all on 5 to 6 lane freeway through endless town, beginning with Ft. Lauderdale. Once you hit that, it is nothing but big city all the way past Miami. It is unbelievable the amount of traffic and the number of people, yet traffic flows right along at about 70 MPH.
Anyway, we got up late this morning and didn’t leave the hotel until around 8:30. We were only about 17 miles from the world’s largest Harley-Davidson dealer in Daytona and it didn’t open until 9 AM. We got there just as it opened and the place is huge! I got shirts for the family (Honey, the white one and pink ones are yours, Stephanie gets the black and pink one, Connor gets the Tiki patterned one, mine is the charcoal gray with the pocket on front, and the button up, and the other one is for Timmy) and was happy to hear they ship them for you, so I didn’t have to find room in the bike.
From there we made our way to the Kennedy Space Center and spent time there, as well as at the US Astronaut Hall of Fame. While at the KSC, we took in the movie at the IMAX, Hubble 3D. It was pretty awesome. It really is amazing what mankind has been able to accomplish as far as being in space. Can you imagine what it must be like to be one of the 300 or so individuals that have had the privilege of being in space? I wonder if you can ride a Harley there.
So, here we are, in our room having cleaned up, had dinner and are now just relaxing. Tomorrow will mark a big day for us. We will make it to Key West! Then we make the turn home which, according to my estimate of the map, is going to be a bit grueling. Unlike my retired buddy, Mike, I have to be home by a certain date so I can go back to work.
Well, today is a wrap. Good night, sleep well, and God bless.

1 comment:
Post
Post a Comment