
Coming into Skagway
Waterfall along the way
JULY 5TH MONDAY
Well, as I said before, we are in Juneau waiting for the ferry to leave. We got here around 2:30 this morning. Mike got up when we got here, but I didn’t hear him until 3:30 when he came back in and got back in bed. So, I got up to see Juneau myself. I went back to the room and we read for a bit and then tried to go back to sleep but gave up on that idea. I am now sitting in the forward observation deck, it is 5:50 AM and we still haven’t left the dock, but I believe we are getting ready to depart. Today we stop in Haines and then FINALLY make it to Skagway.
Saw some more very beautiful scenery today, especially some of the waterfalls and glaciers. We didn’t see anything in the way of wildlife, except for one bald eagle. I wonder if they have heard of hair plugs? Although bald is beautiful if I do say so myself.
It is about 5 PM local time here in Skagway. We got here around noon and had to wait for check-in at the hotel until 2, so we headed over to the Harley store to get Connor a T-shirt that said Alaska on it (he also wants one that says Florida on it – that will have to wait a few weeks). From there we went and found the Pizza Station, where Jake worked the past two summers. I meet one of the guys he worked with, Mike Swazy, but not the owners, Nerd and Shakey (obviously not their real names but it is what everyone calls them). I learned Jake and Felicia had a nickname, or a street name here; it was Jalicia. That’s a good thing to know. We went from there and had a spruce-tip beer at the Skagway Brew Company and a cup of really (really!) good soup, cream of portabella mushroom. Finally made it back to the hotel but our room was not ready so we did laundry and talked about where and how far we would ride tomorrow. Now we are just wasting time, waiting to go eat (Mike took a nap and looks like he could be taking another one, maybe). I have been advised by Jake, who knows I love Thai food, that the Thai restaurant one block over, Starfire, is a great place to eat.
Well, we are back in the room and feeling very satisfied. The Starfire is a little (seats maybe 30) place that serves outstanding Thai food. Jake didn’t let me down, especially when recommending the chicken satay (great taste with a very VERY good peanut sauce). Mike had golden curry and it was excellent as well and my Pad Thai really hit the spot. Thanks for the advice son. Oh, by the way, it was Aaron who was working, but he still had the deer in the headlights look concerning you.
Well, tomorrow our goal is to make it to Upper Liard, Yukon. It is about 300 miles. I am sure we will be, as Ray Philips says, out of pocket for the next couple of day. The weather calls for possible showers. Showers are OK, but it is cold here. Rain is not OK. Neither is snow.

2 comments:
Spruce tip beer? Really? You didn't even say whether it was good!
Enjoying the ride vicariously. Keep the chair in its full upright position (except when you're making a turn, that is!)
Sure enjoy your comentary and discriptions of what you are seeing and experiencing. Keep up the good work!
Oh, by the way, it get's nasty cold and nastier when wet and the road glazes over. Please be careful and watch out for those charging Moose. One charged us as we drove from Anchorage to Portland in 1995.
Cindy
Post a Comment