THURSDAY July 8, 2010
Will you look at that, it is the second Thursday of our trip. Where has the time gone?
I am sitting in my camp chair, bathed, clothed and hydrated. Mike and I both noticed we didn’t get enough liquid yesterday so we tried to be better about getting more water in our systems. It was a pretty uneventful day today. There were no spills, no close calls, no animals and just miles and miles and miles of rolling hills covered with trees with a 50 foot cleared buffer on either side of the road. Or, it was miles and miles and miles of high plain, with lots of hay and what looked to be mustard. We made about 340 miles (aboot 500 kilometers for you Canadians, eh?) today. It was a pretty easy ride, just blasting down the highway. There were a couple small delays for construction but NOTHING like yesterday.
We had our decision to not go to Dease Lake today reinforced by another traveler who had also just made that drive and said it was horrible. We were able to advise a fellow rider pulling a trailer not to take that route, as he had planned.
We passed through Dawson Creek early this afternoon and decided to keep on pressing on and finally stopped in a small town called Beaverlodge, in Alberta. We are camping in the city campground. No bells or whistle just, “Throw your tents under some of those trees over there”. You have to remember this is high plains and it is hot and aside from a few trees here and there, there is no shade. We set up camp, got showers, relaxed for awhile and then went and had dinner. I had the best Greek salad at this little restaurant that served Greek food. There was no doubt the owners were Greek. I had to throw in mentioning the salad since I know my honey loves Greek salad (very similar to what we use to get at George’s). Alas, there was no tetzeke.
It is now 8:30 PM and the sun is hiding behinds some clouds. They kind of make me nervous but not enough so to put the rain fly on the tent. I hope I don’t have to get up during the night! We are off to Jasper tomorrow where Keith will join us for a few days. We will probably spend the night there (a hotel this time) and a couple nights around Banff and Lake Louise and then off to Moose Jaw, with a likely stop for the night in Medicine Hat along the way.
Sleep well all.

1 comment:
Notification post
Post a Comment