TUESDAY July 13, 2010
Well, here we sit in a camp ground next to the Heart River in Dickenson, ND. Dickenson is where my assistant, Shari’s husband went to high school. So it is kind of cool that we ended the day here. I can see why Steve likes it in ND, it really is an impressive land. After driving through most of the state today, I think I understand why someone would like living here. You really get the feel that this is an independent land, yet, the people are very friendly and I am sure they are more than willing to help their neighbors or visitors.
We have really been blessed with good weather while riding. However, last night where we stayed, we were so glad to be inside and not camping. There was quite the lightning and thunder storm and the rain came down in buckets.
Speaking of where we stayed, after traveling all day across Saskatchewan, we finished our day in Moose Jaw at a good friend’s house. It was good to be able to spend time with Margot and Ted (this is the first time to meet Ted) and to visit with them and another friend of mine who I actually got to meet for the first time in person, Leah. What an enjoyable evening. Prior to eating, Leah was gracious enough to drive us around Moose Jaw and take us to a motorcycle shop so Mike could buy a new visor for his helmet (He dropped his helmet right after we got there and busted the visor) and to a drug store so I could by some two-twenty-two’s. Then back to Margot and Ted’s for dinner and bed.
Mike took over cooking on the Barbie and grilled up a couple dozen pork chops while Margot had made some awesome salads. That raspberry, strawberry, spinach and slivered almond salad with a raspberry vinaigrette was sooooooo good. She also had a vegetable salad with olives, carrots, cauliflower and cherry tomatoes. Oh yeah, let’s not forget the garlic bread. A very nice Merlot accompanied the meal. Then if that wasn’t enough, Leah had made two Saskatoon berry pies, which was served with vanilla ice cream. We are talking a repast fit for a king. For those who have heard of service berries, they are the same thing; very similar to huckleberries but just a little different. Anyway, the pie was great! We even had some for dessert tonight in camp that Margot sent with us!
I should probably go back a day and just describe our ride from Medicine Hat, where we spent Sunday night, and Moose Jaw. It was a whole lot of flat! I always thought it was funny when Margot or Leah would say, “Saskatchewan (I am so proud of myself for knowing how to spell that) is so flat you can watch your dog run away from home for three days”. I always thought they were kidding but it turns out, they weren’t. And not just flat, but wind! We all had sore left shoulders when we got to MJ from fighting a wicked crosswind from our right. To make it worse, every time you would go past a semi, you would get into its turbulence, then, as you got past it, the wind would hit you again and it was just a lot of work to keep things steady.
So today, we got up and Margot had made us warm bagels and cream cheese with an assortment of jams, coffee, scrambled eggs, bacon and an assortment of fruits; great way to start the day. We said our goodbyes, including Keith and headed east and south. Keith left us in Moose Jaw and is on his way home to Oregon. Mike was right when he said later that is was sad to lose Keith. We both enjoy his company very much. After we had been on the road for about half an hour I told Mike I thought I could still see him. It is so flat there.
After an hour or so, the flat begin to change into gentle hills very similar to what is around Pulman, Washington, mostly all growing something. I really did enjoy the scenery there. Another hour or so and we approached the Canadian/US border and made our crossing at Raymond, MT. We both commented on how nice it was to finally be back in the states. We loved Canada and saw some very incredible country, but like Dorothy said, “There’s no place like home”. Just before crossing into the US, I spotted four very nice mule deer bucks off the side of the road. They are such beautiful animals.
From there it was east from Montana to North Dakota, again lots of rolling hills and farm land. About the only excitement we had was a bit of construction in North Dakota where we actually had to go off road for more than a mile. After dropping the bike twice already, I was not thrilled with that dirt road with the ruts and soft dirt to the side of the ruts.
Once we got into N. Dakota, I hooked up my cell phone and called Tammy and the kids. It was so nice to be able to talk to them. I am able to talk to them via a bluetooth connection to my GPS unit through my intercom system on the bike while going down the road. Hey! It’s hands-free!
We crossed three major rivers today; the Yellowstone, the Missouri and the Little Missouri. It always amazes me that the Missouri River is clear up in Montana. It takes a very winding course as we were in the NE corner of Montana and it runs between Great Falls and Helena as well.
So here we are in camp, tents are up, we went into town and had a nice salad for dinner came back and showered and are now sitting in the shade, having a cold adult beverage and writing our journals. It has been very enjoyable being on this trip and once again I am thankful that Tammy encouraged me to do this and understood my desire to do something like this. She rocks!
Good night and God bless.

3 comments:
Quite a ride! It's been fun to trace your ride through Canada as you follow the same route your dad & I took. Only we took the diagonal down to ND from Moose Jaw. It was in Moose Jaw that your dad bought those binoculars. What a great trip that was for us. Keep safe - lots of prayers going up for you & Mike, Love you!
hey pop.
glad to hear you are having such a good time.
looking forward to you guys rolling up on the 'Ford.
love you.
Looking forward to seeing you too Jeremy.
It was very nice Mom, very beautiful.
Post a Comment