SA98P9 (I thought I would leave this on here – the family cat walked across my keyboard)
SATURDAY July 17th
We got up very early today, just before 5 AM and on the road by 5:30. Not sure why we were up so early but we were. I actually woke up at 2:45! Our goal for the day was to make it to Louisville, KY early enough to get our oil changed at the dealership there and on to the Ft Knox area to see family (Mike’s daughter) and friends (My friends Anna and Parker Hahn) to spend the next couple of nights. We both like the idea of a day without riding.
So, off we went and made it to Louisville by 11:00 AM, but since we crossed a time zone, it was now noon. We were there for about an hour and a half getting the bikes service, and then from there we went to a nearby Verizon store so Mike could get a new phone to replace the one he left sitting on top of the bike after stopping to check maps a couple days ago. Opps.
Then off to Vine Grove where Mike’s daughter Janna lives. Mike’s wife, Laurie was there too. SHE flew out to see her husband. What a good wife. When we left Louisville we had two route choices. One was more direct than the other so we started that way. We soon found ourselves on a three lane road with a 40 MPH speed limit, signal lights. To make things worse, traffic wasn’t moving. We sat at one signal light that changed several times without anyone moving through the intersection. To add injury to insult it was hotter than Hades! Add to that the humidity and the heat of the bike motor (my ambient air gauge on the bike read 110) and that made for a couple of miserable riders. We quickly decided to turn around and head back to the more circuitous route, but it was interstate and we would be moving. Moving is good when it is as hot as it was. So we finally made it to Janna’ around 4 PM. She had ice water and ice tea waiting for us. That was wonderful! I visited for a few minutes and then I was off to the Hahn house in Elizabethtown (or e-town as they call it here).
I arrived here and the Hahn house was abuzz with activity. Anna and Parker have three children, Cora who is 7, Mia is almost three (she and I have the same birthday) and, Nolan is 4 months. Also, Parker’s Mom and Dad, Robin and Gordon, had arrived here today as well, from Montana, and Parker’s sister, Andrea, was here alsol. Andrea is in the Kentucky National Guard (active – this is a full time state job, not just weekends drills) and Parker is active duty in the Army, stationed at Ft Knox. I meet Robin and Gordon at Anna and Parker’s wedding in Anchorage so it was good to see them again and get to visit with them. The Hahn’s actually just arrived here from West Point and Parker has had one day of work, Friday, since transferring here.
Anna put together a wonderful meal, with Parker doing the honors at the grill. We had kabobs, green salad and a tortellini salad, followed by a really good meringue pie with fresh fruit; so simple yet very refreshing and light. I am going to be making this when I get home. I can’t begin to tell you how wonderful it was to have another home cooked meal (had a great meal in Moose Jaw as you might have read in an earlier post).
Parker and I finished off the evening watching the end of the Red Sox game (they won it in extra innings!) while enjoying a beverage Anna put together for us with blackberries and bourbon. It was a great finish to a wonderful evening.
I am sure that Mike looks forward to a day off the bike as much as I do. We spend Sunday night here and then we are off to Tennessee.
Good night, sleep well and God bless
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Post comment.
SHE is the good wife! Hahaha
Do we know of another good wife? I think we do, right Tammy?
Post a Comment